VisArts Call for Docent Applications, Summer 2018
(To complete the application form, you will need to create a Submittable account, below.)
For Summer 2018, VisArts is seeking docents to lead tours and have casual conversations about the artwork in the galleries. Contemporary art can be challenging, and our goal for the VisArts docent program is to help visitors understand and engage with the artwork on view. Docents will gain skills in public speaking, audience engagement, researching artwork, and develop a deeper understanding of contemporary art. Additionally, docents will be trained and have the opportunity to apply museum and art education strategies to facilitate in-gallery learning. Other benefits include opportunities to earn credit toward art classes at VisArts, meet gallery staff, and gain behind-the-scenes access to the galleries. This is a volunteer position.
VisArts is a non-profit organization with the mission of transforming individuals through the visual arts. VisArts has four art galleries, and additional art spaces, dedicated to rotating exhibitions for contemporary artists. We are located in Rockville Town Square, Rockville, MD, a short walk from the Rockville Metro Station on the Red Line.
The galleries are open on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM, and on Fridays from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM. This opportunity is open to all adults, ages 18+.
Docent responsibilities include:
- Attending three training sessions in June (see dates below)
- Attending three monthly meetings, in June, July, and August
- At least one two-hour shift per week
- Leading tours of the galleries
- Engaging in casual conversations with visitors in the galleries about the artwork on view
- Monitoring the galleries
- Independently researching the rotating artwork and artists on view
- Able to commit to one shift per week
- Must be mature, reliable, responsible, friendly, personable, and punctual
- Good communication skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of an audience
- Experience with art and art history
- If you do not have an art background, experience in public speaking
- Familiarity with or a willingness to learn about contemporary art
- May 21: Applications are due by 11:59 PM
- May 23: In-person interviews begin
- June 4: Decisions will be made, applicants will be notified
- June 9, 10, and 16: Three weekend training sessions
- June 17: Shifts and Tours begin
- August 25: Session Ends
- Monthly Meetings will be based on docent availability
To be considered, applicants will need to fill out the application form through Submittable. (You need to create an account to see the form.) Additionally, applicants will need to provide a resume, a cover letter explaining why this opportunity interests you and how you meet the requirements, and contact information for two professional references, to be submitted with the form.
Up to five images are required and may include proposed installation drawings.
Submissions will be reviewed every December.
Please keep in mind that submission does not guarantee acceptance. Exhibition plans are made 2 years in advance.
Incomplete submission packages will not be reviewed.
Curators or artist groups/guilds who have organized an exhibition at VisArts within the past two years are not eligible to submit a curatorial proposal.
Application Deadline: December 12, 2018 at midnight (EST)
Application Deadline: June 8, 2018, 11:59 PM
NextGen 5.0 is calling all DMV aspiring artists.
VisArts welcomes artists ages 17 – 27 in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area to submit their application for NextGen 5.0, our fifth exhibition in our Kaplan Gallery from July 11 - August 19, 2018. NextGen 5.0 is an opportunity for aspiring artists with little to no experience exhibiting their work in a professional gallery.
VisArts is a non-profit organization whose mission is to transform individuals and communities through the visual arts. VisArts provides children, teens and adults with opportunities to express their creativity and enhance their awareness of the arts.
Online applications are due by June 8, 2018, 11:59 pm at visartscenter.org/call-for-entries. Please keep in mind that submission does not guarantee acceptance. Applicants should have little or no experience exhibiting in a professional gallery. Previous NextGen participants are ineligible. Previous NextGen applicants who were not selected may re-apply for this year's exhibition.
After reviewing all works, selected artists will be notified by June 16.
All submissions will be juried by professional artists and curators (names to be announced).
Keep in mind that if accepted into the exhibition, you will be expected to drop off accepted artwork to the gallery on July 6, anytime between 10AM- 6PM. Artwork will not be accepted before or after these available dates and times.
Application Deadline: Thursday, June 8, 2017, 11:59 PM
Required Application Materials:
- Application Form
- High Res images with captions, for up to 5 works of art
- Film and video pieces are welcome: 2 minutes of video, film, sound or performance documentation = one work. Up to 10 minutes total. Videos must be in .mp4 or .mov file format.
- Images must be in .jpg, .tiff, .png, or .gif file format. Minimum image resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- Artist Statement (250 Word Maximum)
- Artist Bio (150 Word Maximum)
- Resume/ CV
- Application Fee ($10.00) – online application will require payment by credit card or PayPal. Financial assistance available upon a need basis. Contact email@example.com for more information.
It can be intimidating to create an artist résumé with little or no experience, but a great résumé is one that is clear, organized and simple. Experiences you can include may be from exhibiting in student art shows, to assisting at camps or even teaching. Here are a great number of resources to help you create a competitive application and to develop your professional practices as an artist:
Artist statement and artist biography
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
For information on Exhibition and Sale of Artwork
Guidelines for presenting works in digital format
- Apply Online : Complete the online application through submittable.com
- Drop Off Accepted Artwork: Accepted Artwork must be dropped off anytime during the following hours at the 2nd floor Office at VisArts
Tuesday, July 6th between 10AM - 6PM
Please send any questions via email with “VisArts NextGen 5.0 Open Call” in the subject line to Frank McCauley, Exhibitions Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Fee: $10.00