Frame & Frequency is an ongoing International Video and Sound Art Exchange program presented concurrently at VisArts in our In(Site) Project Gallery in Rockville, MD and at PLECTO Galeria in Medellín, Colombia, opening December 7, 2018.
Video, sound art (up to 8 channels), film, and new media work will be accepted: experimental, documentary, animation, narrative, non-narrative, multimedia, virtual reality, augmented reality, net art, interactive media, etc.
All foreign language moving image artworks must have English subtitles.
Deadline for submissions is November 28, 2018
- Video/Sound Art: You may submit up to 3 works. Videos must be in .mp4 file format. Maximum length of 15 minutes. Sound Art files can be either.mp3 or .wav format. Upload files below through our online platform or provide Vimeo links for video previews.
- Artist Bio (100 word max.)
- Artist Statement (100 words max.)
- $5 application fee
Transforming individuals and communities through the visual arts. From our beginning in 1987 as Rockville Arts Place operating in a converted garage to our current contemporary, state of the art facility in Rockville Town Square, VisArts has served local residents, students, art lovers, professional artists and others with an interest in the arts. Each year, VisArts welcomes more than 30,000 visitors through our doors to visit one of our four galleries, observe our studio artists on our second floor Artist Concourse, or to participate in art education classes, camp programs, and special events in our Buchanan Room.
For previous projects please visit:
VisArts Call for Docent Applications, Spring 2019
(To see the application form, please create a Submittable account below).
For Spring 2019, VisArts is seeking volunteer docents to lead tours and have casual conversations about the artwork in the galleries. Contemporary art can be challenging, and our goal for the VisArts docent program is to help visitors understand and engage with the artwork on view. Docents will gain skills in public speaking, audience engagement, researching artwork, and interpreting and analyzing contemporary art. Additionally, docents will be trained and have the opportunity to apply museum and art education strategies to facilitate in-gallery learning. Other benefits include opportunities to earn credit toward art classes at VisArts, meet gallery staff, and gain behind-the-scenes access to the galleries.
VisArts is a non-profit organization with the mission of transforming individuals through the visual arts. VisArts has artist studios, four art galleries, and additional art spaces and programs dedicated to contemporary art. Our exhibitions rotate every 4-6 weeks and are frequently reviewed in the Washington Post! Enjoy quality art without having to go to Washington, DC!
We are located in Rockville Town Square, Rockville, MD, a short walk from the Rockville Metro Station on the Red Line.The galleries are open on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM, and on Fridays from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM. This opportunity is open to all adults, ages 18+.
Application Deadline: Sunday, December 2nd, 11:59 PM
Docent responsibilities include:
- Volunteering for at least one two-hour shift per week
- Attending three training sessions in January (see dates below)
- Attending five monthly meetings between January and May
- Leading tours of the galleries and artist studio spaces
- Engaging in casual conversations with visitors in the galleries about the artwork on view
- Monitoring the galleries
- Independently researching the rotating exhibitions and studio artists
- Able to commit to at least one shift per week
- Must be mature, reliable, responsible, friendly, personable and punctual
- Good communication skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of an audience
- Prior experience with art and art history
- If you do not have an art background, prior experience in public speaking
- Familiarity with or a willingness to learn about contemporary art
- December 2: Applications are due
- December 8 – December 23: In-person interviews on weekends
- December 23: Decisions will be made, applicants will be notified
- January 5, 6, and 12: Three two-hour Sunday training sessions
- January 13-May 26: Duration of the session
- Monthly Meetings will be based on majority docent availability
To be considered, applicants will need to fill out an application form (to see the application form, please create a Submittable account below), and provide a resume, a cover letter explaining why this opportunity interests you and how you meet the requirements, and contact information for two professional references, each to be submitted with the form.
We are open to making this position available for course credit or into an internship. Please email us at the address below.
For questions, e-mail VisArtsDocentCoordinator@gmail.com
Up to five images are required and may include proposed installation drawings.
Submissions will be reviewed every December.
Please keep in mind that submission does not guarantee acceptance. Exhibition plans are made 2 years in advance.
Incomplete submission packages will not be reviewed.
Curators or artist groups/guilds who have organized an exhibition at VisArts within the past two years are not eligible to submit a curatorial proposal.
Application Deadline: December 12, 2018 at midnight (EST)