VisArts Call for Gallery Guide Applications, Spring 2020
(To see the application form, please create a Submittable account below).
For Spring 2020, VisArts is seeking volunteer gallery guides to lead tours and have casual conversations about the artwork in the galleries. Gallery guides will gain skills in public speaking, audience engagement, researching artwork, and interpreting and analyzing contemporary art. Additionally, gallery guides will be trained and have the opportunity to apply museum and art education strategies during gallery tours while increasing their knowledge of contemporary art. Other benefits include opportunities to earn credit toward art classes at VisArts, attend monthly professional development meetings, and gain behind-the-scenes access to the galleries.
VisArts is a non-profit organization with the mission of transforming individuals through the visual arts. VisArts has seven artist studios, four art galleries, and additional art spaces and programs dedicated to contemporary art. Our exhibitions rotate every 6 - 8 weeks and are frequently reviewed in the Washington Post! Enjoy excellent contemporary art without having to go to Washington, DC!
We are located in Rockville Town Square, Rockville, MD, a short walk from the Rockville Metro Station on the Red Line. The galleries are open on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM, and on Fridays from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM. This opportunity is open to all adults, ages 18+.
Application Deadline: Sunday, December 1st at 11:59 PM
Gallery guide responsibilities include:
- Volunteer for at least one two-hour shift per week
- Attend three training sessions in January (see dates below)
- Attend three monthly meetings between February and May
- Lead tours of the galleries and artist studio spaces
- Engage in casual conversations with visitors in the galleries about the artwork on view
- Monitor the galleries
- Independently research the rotating exhibitions and studio artists
- Commit to at least one shift per week
- Must be mature, reliable, responsible, friendly, personable and punctual
- Good communication skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of an audience
- A passion for talking about art
- Familiarity with or a willingness to learn about contemporary art
· December 1: Applications are due
· December 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22: In-person interviews on weekends
· December 22: Notice of acceptance
· January 5, 11, 12: Three weekend training sessions, 11 AM – 12:30 PM
· January 15 – May 31: Duration of the session
· Monthly Meetings will be based on majority gallery guide availability
To be considered, applicants will need to fill out an application form (to see the application form, please create a Submittable account below), and provide a resume, a cover letter explaining why this opportunity interests you and how you meet the requirements, and contact information for two professional references, each to be submitted with the form.
For questions, e-mail VisArtsGalleryTours@gmail.com
Frame & Frequency is an ongoing International Video Art Screening Series presented by VisArts that highlights artists whose new media, experimental film, and video works explore contemporary visual culture, and presents an intimate panorama of the variety and breadth of video art in artistic practice today.
Video, film, and new media work will be accepted: experimental, documentary, animation, narrative, non-narrative, multimedia, virtual reality, augmented reality, net art, interactive media, etc.
All foreign language moving image artworks must have English subtitles.
Deadline for submissions is April 5, 2020
Exhibition and screenings open to public May 5, 2020
- Video: You may submit up to 3 works. Videos must be in .mp4 file format. Maximum length of 15 minutes. Upload files below through our online platform or provide Vimeo links for video previews.
- Artist Bio (100 word max.)
- Artist Statement (100 words max.)
- $5 application fee
- Selected artists will receive screening fees for participation
Transforming individuals and communities through the visual arts. From our beginning in 1987 as Rockville Arts Place operating in a converted garage to our current contemporary, state of the art facility in Rockville Town Square, VisArts has served local residents, students, art lovers, professional artists and others with an interest in the arts. Each year, VisArts welcomes more than 30,000 visitors through our doors to visit one of our four galleries, observe our studio artists on our second floor Artist Concourse, or to participate in art education classes, camp programs, and special events in our Buchanan Room.
For previous projects please visit:
Frame & Frequency 3 Vol. I
Frame & Frequency 3 Vol. II
Frame & Frequency 4 Vol. I
Frame & Frequency 4 Vol. II