VisArts Call for Docent Applications, Fall 2018
(To see the application form, please create a Submittable account below).
For Fall 2018, VisArts is seeking docents to lead tours and have casual conversations about the artwork in the galleries. Contemporary art can be challenging, and our goal for the VisArts docent program is to help visitors understand and engage with the artwork on view. Docents will gain skills in public speaking, audience engagement, researching artwork, and develop a deeper understanding of contemporary art. Additionally, docents will be trained and have the opportunity to apply museum and art education strategies to facilitate in-gallery learning. Other benefits include opportunities to earn credit toward art classes at VisArts, meet gallery staff, and gain behind-the-scenes access to the galleries. This is a volunteer position.
VisArts is a non-profit organization with the mission of transforming individuals through the visual arts. VisArts has four art galleries, and additional art spaces, dedicated to rotating exhibitions for contemporary artists. Our shows rotate every 4-6 weeks and are frequently reviewed in the Washington Post. Enjoy quality art without having to go to Washington, D.C.!
We are located in Rockville Town Square, Rockville, MD, a short walk from the Rockville Metro Station on the Red Line.The galleries are open on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM, and on Fridays from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM. This opportunity is open to all adults, ages 18+.
Application Deadline: August 31st, 11:59 PM
Docent responsibilities include:
- Volunteering for at least one two-hour shift per week
- Attending three Sunday training sessions in September (see dates below)
- Attending three monthly meetings, in October, November, and December
- Leading tours of the galleries
- Engaging in casual conversations with visitors in the galleries about the artwork on view
- Monitoring the galleries
- Independently researching the rotating artwork and artists on view
- Able to commit to at least one shift per week
- Must be mature, reliable, responsible, friendly, personable and punctual
- Good communication skills
- Comfortable speaking in front of an audience
- Prior experience with art and art history
- If you do not have an art background, prior experience in public speaking or teaching
- Familiarity with or a willingness to learn about contemporary art
- August 31: Applications are due by 11:59 PM
- September 4-9: In-person interviews
- September 10: Decisions will be made, applicants will be notified
- September 16, 23, and 30: Three Sunday training sessions
- October 1: Shifts and Tours begin
- December 21: Session Ends
- Monthly Meetings will be based on majority docent availability (each meeting is about an hour in length)
To be considered, applicants will need to fill out the application form below. (The form is visible after you create a Submittable account.) Additionally, applicants will need to provide a resume, a cover letter explaining why this opportunity interests you and how you meet the requirements, and contact information for two professional references, each to be submitted with the form.
For questions, e-mail VisArtsDocentCoordinator@gmail.com, with subject line: Docent Applications